Don’t Blame The Victim Of A Coyote Attack

March 5, 2008

coyote005004pl41.jpg

I saw a coyote in my yard recently. He was huge — and when we tried to scare him away by yelling at him, he just stood there. It’s getting scary and I have a strong opinion. Here we go again, blaming the victims of coyote attacks.

When will the Department of Environmental Protection wake up and realize this is a serious problem in Connecticut? Does a small child have to be attacked before anything is done? Are pets just prey for uncontrolled wildlife now? If it were a human or dog wandering around neighborhoods, killing small dogs and cats in their yards, there would be an outrage. But because it’s “wildlife” and it’s “just nature,” nothing is done.

Don’t bother calling the DEP. Representatives will say, “Keep your pets indoors.” Something as innocent as letting your dog out in your fenced yard could prove fatal to the poor thing. Not only will you lose your beloved pet, but friends and neighbors will blame you for it.

The coyote population in Connecticut has exploded. They are no longer fearful of humans either. They have nothing to fear. They are at the top of the food chain now. You see “lost pet” posters going up everywhere. Sadly, they are not lost. Pets do not run away from loving homes.

There is talk about limiting the pigeon and deer population with birth-control granules. Bears get relocated when found in neighborhoods. Perhaps one of these methods can be used on the coyote population.

I don’t want to see any creature killed, not even a coyote, but something must be done. In the meantime, lock cats, dogs and small children in the house and don’t let them out of your sight. The world outside your door has become lethal.

Margaret Gletherow
Gales Ferry

theday.com – Connecticut

Comments

21 Responses to “Don’t Blame The Victim Of A Coyote Attack”

1. Bob Rich on March 7th, 2008 9:36 am

Margaret,

I live in CT and agree. May I post you letter on my blog?

Regards,

Bob Rich

2. Rick on March 7th, 2008 10:25 am

Bob

Thanks for posting a comment, I am the Editor of Connecticut Hunting Today and also live in Connecticut. I received this letter from a Google Alert so it is already posted on the internet so I do not see why you can’t post it on your site. Just make sure that she get’s full credit.
    Thanks again for stopping by and please return.

3. Bob Rich on March 7th, 2008 10:50 am

Thanks Rick! have a great day. Wish I was hunting today instead or working.

4. Rick on March 7th, 2008 11:07 am

Me Too………………..

5. william gerk on August 7th, 2008 2:54 pm

Cats are missing every where within a 20 mile area here around Brooklyn CT. A little girl was chased half way through her yard last week by a coyote.It was after her cat and it got the cat right next to her as she ran. Then returned to the woods. DEP isn’t gonna do anything. UNTIL AN ACTUAL TRAGEDY HAPPENS.

6. Mike Dupre on September 14th, 2008 9:04 pm

I am interested in learning to hunt coyote in CT. Any advice for good electronic callers or any other advice?

Thanks

7. dk on January 27th, 2009 1:10 pm

The other day I found blood on our back patio stairs. Some blood smudges and such plus splatters along the house foundation here and there. Not too much but enough to be noticed.

Then we noticed the dog prints and followed them.

My wife counted 3-4 sets of tracks including ones coming down the stairs behind the house which seemed to have cut-off whatever they were chasing. We are assuming opossum because we saw at least one on the back patio in the past few nights ago (can’t remembe the exact timing).

She thinks she’s found the Alpha Male because the paw print is HUGE!

With winter here, the idea of them being fearful of humans does not keep them away anymore and I suspect they’ll be around until the weather warms up and food becomes available deeper into the woods.

Until then, we aren’t letting the cats out and being careful of when the kids are out. They may hesitate at a human adult, but I don’t know if they are desperate enough for children and I don’t plan on taking any chances.

I hope the snow that is supposed to come tomorrow is enough to blanket the snow so we can look for additional tracks and see if they are still in the area or not.

8. dk on January 27th, 2009 1:13 pm

Oh, I nearly forgot! In early December (I think), on one of the warm days (but there was snow on the ground) I saw this Coyote walking right down the middle of the darn street! It was trotting at a fair clip and didn’t seem the least scared of me.

To me, it seemed he was the scout.

9. matt on June 27th, 2010 9:35 pm

OOOO I’M TELLING PETA ON YOU!Poor coyotes!
    Just kidding.I was just goggling for hunting coyotes and found this.People just don’t see what can happen when we just let them grow like weeds.Next deer and there deer ticks and the lyme disease they bring.People wont do anything till there’s a brake out or coyotes start going after people.I was watching something on t.v. about bears coming rite up to people’s back yards and they have to run out and get the kids back inside to safety.Maybe change a hunting season one year to throw them off?

10. Joel on November 28th, 2010 11:18 pm

Honestly, I really don’t understand why in every blog / comment page I read, all I hear is how we as humans need to modify the natural environment to suit our fancy. Coyotes (and all plants, animals, parasites and predators for that matter) existed where your towns, villages, farms and cities did long before human settlement occured. I live in a rural community in northern Alberta where Coyotes are a part of life; here its not uncommon to have a moose standing in the middle of a mojor intersection for hours at a time, we simply take a different route untill it moves off. We modify our behaviour to live mutually with local wildlife. Coyotes are not the problem, predators are not even the problem. Yes they attack on occation but remember that they’re just doing what they have evolved to do (over thousands of years I may add). Coyotes were on “your” land long before you were, and they are a natural part of your ecosystem; their interconectivity within their local ecosystem is the reason why your state environmental agency is not culling or translocating them. Margaret, quit whining about these animals, you are in their territory, not the other way around. Live with it or move somewhere where there are no predators.
    Joel

11. mike blough on December 9th, 2010 8:03 pm

I have lived in the woods all my life. If we were to start killing coyote’s cause they attack cats and dogs we would also have to start killing racoons owls bears ect. in this world there is predators and there is prey. dogs and cats are domesticated and no longer have survival skills. You cant blame a wet cold scared animal trying to get food any way it can. Or justify hurting them because your slow obese cat or old blind dog gets attacked. ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE

12. James on December 9th, 2010 9:01 pm

I live just outside a large city in Texas and we have coyotes and wild boars around all of the time. Most people here don’t mind the coyote at all, but some complain about the wild boars. They come and root in peoples front lawns and destroy them in just a few minutes. If a cat (I am a cat lover BTW) can’t evade a coyote, so what? I have lost 2 in the last 5 years to coyote. We invaded their territory and have flushed out most of their natural game. They have more of a right to survive here than my cats, that’s for sure.

The feral hogs are another matter. They are not natives and are hunted here year around. Some estimate that there are 2 million here in Texas. That’s a LOT of bacon!

13. William Hayes on December 13th, 2010 11:24 pm

I live in northern NY, long the St. Lawrence river and the coyote has taken over the property that I hunt on, i have estimated that there are 15 packs of 25 dogs. Me and my family were planning on hunting them this winter but need tips to lure them in.

14. Chris on December 16th, 2010 12:41 am

While walking my German Shepherd this past weekend at night in New Britain I observed a large dog running right towards me. I yelled to scare it off before realizing it was a large coyote. It alarmingly continued straight towards me. I crossed the road and it crossed the road. It was evident that the coyote displayed no fear of me and I was certain an attack against my dog and/or myself was imminent. When it was about 15 ft. away my only option to thwart an ugly encounter was to walk in the path of a slowly approaching vehicle. If the coyote followed at that point my hope was that the car would hit it. It must have decided it didn’t want to get hit and veered course, continuing down the street. Quite scary.

15. tim wolcott ct on December 21st, 2010 3:15 pm

I’m going to hunt coyotes,If someones thinks that I’m intruding on” there territory “they are sadly mistaken.We were here first.If and when a coyote kills a small child for food will the person who says “well they were here first to the parent of that child” “oh it was just doing what comes natural” I don’t think so everyone of you will be there crying for the state D.E.P to do something about this terrible act.There is an explosion in the coyote population in the last twenty years I’ve seen this first hand being an outdoorsman.History has proven that the only way to reduce the population is through hunting.Which I plan to do.So for every coyote I kill i figure I can stop at least twenty posters from going up and just maybe a horrific story from being printed in your local paper.Yea you can call me what you want I didn’t get to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian.

16. tim wolcott ct on December 21st, 2010 3:19 pm

If you would like to give me permission to hunt coyotes on your property please send email to timothy.gundry@yahoo.com. …Please no antis your wasting space with your comments. Legal hunting methods only…

17. Brian on February 1st, 2011 1:56 pm

Cats shouldn’t be roaming around anyway. There is no reason I should have to wash their paw prints from my car or collect their pooh from my gardens and horse shoe pits. I think the coyotes are helping out the people being harassed by inconsiderate cats.

18. keith mccann on January 11th, 2012 8:38 am

I wanted to comment on Joel’s post… Coyotes are no a part of life in the Northeast/New England. Their populations have rapidly exploded from the west because of humans. The more humans around the more easily accessible food there is. This means more coyote pups survive and are instantly trained to live near humans for easy food. Here in Connecticut our deer population has exploded as well. What happens is since there is very few tracts of large unpopulated woods, the deer congregate in small areas to where it over saturates the land and the deer eat all the food available and it causes a huge die off where all the deer in a herd starve to death. So yes hunting is part of the natural ecosystem. Wolves hunt, Coyotes hunt, foxes hunt, lions hunt, all predators hunt. Humans are a predator.

19. Monster Headphones Beats iBeats on May 9th, 2012 4:50 am

No honest what dignity, when l was gone, the body does not have the life, faith is the supreme virtue, half the truth is often a palpable lies, sincere person, way of heaven; person of sincerity, the way of the.

20. Jordan 7 Olympic 2012 on June 6th, 2012 10:37 am

Darrow obediently stepped forth. Only when the elevator had disappeared did his upward glance bring to him the knowledge that he had

21. North Face Apex Bionic on October 16th, 2012 8:39 pm

With a fleece-lined hood, elastic-bound cuffs, and a standard fit weighing in at.

Got something to say?